Exeter is to get almost £2million in government money to tackle rough sleeping.
The money is part of Prime Minister Andy Burnham’s national drive to get everyone off the streets for Christmas
Under a package totalling £442million, areas with the greatest need will receive the largest share of support to get people out of the cold, and that means £1,974,556 for Exeter.
The scheme aims to give people facing long-term homelessness a settled home and the support to keep it.
Exeter Labour MP Steve Race said he was delighted at the opportunity for the city to help its homeless people.
He said: “When Labour was last in government we reduced rough-sleeping levels to a record low. After 14 years of Tory cuts, we can all see the impact this has had when we walk down the High Street in Exeter.
“I’ve previously joined the outreach teams at both St Petrock’s and Julian House on their early morning walkabouts to see the challenges first-hand, and I know from speaking to people across the city that tackling this issue is a priority for Exeter.
“Anyone working with people sleeping rough will know that it’s not just a roof over their head that they need – it can also require wraparound support for trauma and addiction. Working together, we can deal with these root-causes of rough sleeping and give people the opportunities they need to get back on their feet.”
The most recent government snapshot count recorded 51 people sleeping rough in Exeter on the night of November 12, 2025.
This gives Exeter a rate of 36.8 rough sleepers per 100,000 population, placing the city among the highest rates in England and well above the national average.
Local homelessness charities such as St Petrock’s point out that single-night counts only capture a snapshot. A larger number of people experience hidden homelessness such as sofa-surfing, sleeping in cars or using temporary accommodation.
Alongside emergency accommodation to end the need for rough sleeping, the programme will offer practical help with housing, health and other needs.
There will also be a national summit meeting to bring together leaders from business, finance, charities, health, faith communities and more to ask what role each of them can play in ending rough sleeping.
The Prime Minister said: “No-one should have to bed down in a doorway or outside a station. But we’ve seen it for so long that it feels like Westminster has started to accept it.
“I won’t accept it. That’s why my first instruction as Prime Minister was to end rough sleeping. And it’s why today we’re getting started with a national drive to get everyone in for Christmas.
“We did it in the pandemic. We can do it again.”

Witness appeal after serious collision, A30 near Tedburn St Mary
GCSE success for teenagers taking part in pioneering university and college project to reduce South West “NEET” numbers
Get set for city walking festival
South West Water urges customers to use water wisely as fires show impact of prolonged dry weather
Fears for Devon holiday beach and pier
St Luke’s Students Celebrate GCSE Success
Community hub reopens following major improvements at Trumps Court
Genetic tool helps uncover hidden type 1 diabetes in nearly one in five patients
Residents back Woodbury Neighbourhood Plan with overwhelming support
Householders urged to return form to vote in next elections
Cheaper fares and improved service coming to Sowton Park and Ride
Government’s decision to drop plans welcomed as affordable homes protected in rural Devon
Three arrested on suspicion of murder after death of man in Chudleigh
New festival offers free ice-cream to first 400 attendees
Exeter MP opens new hospice visitor accommodation
Get prepared for winter: bookings for flu and COVID-19 vaccines now open
